For my first film news blog I will be talking through some of the Oscar Nominations and try to give a best guess on who I think will win them (;the problem being I haven’t seen all the films as their UK release date has not yet come around.)
I will start with ‘Best Picture’ and the nominations are:
- Call me by your name
- Darkest Hour
- Get Out
- Lady Bird
- Phantom Thread
- The Post
- The Shape of Water
- Three BillBoards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Personally I believe it is a real two horse race between ‘Three Billboards’ and ‘Lady Bird’. I have watched Three Billboards and I thought it was great, if the ending hadn’t happened as it did, it would have been one of my favourite films of all time. However, people have commended this film for its ending so if they got the same out throughout the film I can see why it’s so critically acclaimed. Conversely, Lady Bird is a film very highly regarded by almost everybody who has seen it so far it has been more of a hit with critics than fans but I’m still excited to see it upon its release. If Darkest Hour wins the awards the Oscars lose all credibility.
Next up ‘Best Actress in a Leading Role’ and the nominations are:
- Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)
- Meryl Streep (The Post)
- Margot Robbie (I, Tonya)
- Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water)
- Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
I, unfortunately, have only seen one of the performances that have received nominations. However, if anybody beats Frances McDormand’s stellar performance then they deserve all the credit they get because she was incredible. I think she will win, but it would be blind of me to concede that there is no competition as all of the other actresses nominated are sure to be fantastic. I believe McDormand’s main competitor is Saoirse Ronan as, so I’m told, she fully encompasses her character and leads from the front for vast portions of the film.
On to ‘Best Actor in a Supporting Role’ and the nominations are:
- Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)
- Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
- Richard Jenkins (The Shape of Water)
- Christopher Plummer (All the Money in the World)
- Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)
Sam Rockwell is going to win the Oscar, no competition. He is the best. His performance was literally the best performance I have ever seen. The others were great, I’m not that keen on Christopher Plummer’s performance, but I just can’t see anyone overturning the night of Sam Rockwell.
My other predictions:
- Best Actor in a Leading Role- Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role- Allison Janney (I, Tonya)
- Best Director- Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water)
- Best Animated Feature- Coco
ANYTHING BABY DRIVER IS NOMINATED FOR IT SHOULD WIN EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE LESSER THOUGHT OF OSCARS I DON’T CARE!